Our Material Supply for Homeowners
If you’re looking for quality materials for your driveway paving project, pea stone for the beautiful garden you’re landscaping, or sand to complete a large playground in your backyard, we can help!
Sand, Stone & Asphalt
- These materials are available through our Heidelberg Aggregate Site only
- For inquiries or orders, please call the Pit Office at 519.699.4646.
- Pickup or delivery is available.
- For pricing of aggregate (sand/stone) and asphalt, please refer to our itemized list.
Pickup Location (delivery also available):
3000 Ament Line
St. Jacobs, ON
Heidelberg Aggregate Site Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (January to April)
Monday to Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (April to December)
Saturday & Sunday - by request only
- This material is available through our Cross Country Concrete Pit
- For inquiries or orders, please call Pit Order Desk at 519.699.4619
- Delivery only
- For pricing, please refer to our itemized list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Steed and Evans pave residential driveways?
We have a list of qualified, preferred companies we can recommend. Please call us at 519.699.4646 and we’d be happy to share a few names with you.
What do I need to safely transport the material I’m picking up?
Since every order is different in weight and type, we suggest you call us at 519.699.4646 and we can guide you on what’s needed to safely haul the load.
I don’t have a trailer or the necessary equipment to bring my material home. Do you offer delivery?
Yes, we offer delivery. It is usually an additional charge, but in some cases based on the nature of the material, it is already included in the price. For delivery pricing on sand, stone or asphalt, please contact our Heidelberg Pit in St. Jacobs at 519-699-4646. Our concrete supply is delivery only. For pricing information, please refer to our itemized list.
How do I calculate how much material I need?
Sand, stone and asphalt are most commonly sold by weight. The standard unit of measure used is metric tonne (t). Use the calculator in the right side bar or perform your own quick calculations using this formula and example:
Length (meters) x Width (meters) x Depth (meters) = ____ (this is your m3)
The following density conversion factors for estimating the amount of material needed once compacted are:
- Granular A & B = 2.4 tonnes/m3
- ¾” Clear Stone = 1.8 tonnes/m3
- Asphalt – 2.5 tonnes/m3
You would like to place some clear stone along the edge of your walkway about 100mm (4”) deep. The total area length is 8.0 meters and the width is 1.50 meters on average.
- 8.0 m x 1.5 m x 0.100 m = 1.20 m3
- Density of ¾” clear stone is 1.80 t/m3
- Solution: 1.80 t/m3 x 1.20 m3 = 2.16 tonnes of stone is required
You want to determine how much asphalt is required to pave your driveway with 50mm (2”) of new asphalt. The dimensions are 15.0 meters long and 5.0 meters wide.
- 15.0 m x 5.0 m x 0.050 m = 3.75 m3
- Density of asphalt = 2.50 t/m3
- 2.50 t/m3 x 3.75 m3 = 9.38 tonnes is required