- Full time
Responsible to prepare estimates for specific projects ensuring consistency with company strategy, commitments and goals. Consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and general contractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates. This role requires a high proficiency in material and labour projections combining construction process inputs to generate accurate project estimations.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare work to be accomplished by gathering information and requirements; setting priorities.
- Obtain tender documents from the appropriate sources: engineers/consultants, municipal offices, construction associations, general contractor office, on-line etc.
- Attend pre-bid meetings as required.
- Examine and analyze tender documents. Look for and resolve conflicting information in the drawings and specifications.
- Determine work required via tender items and/or take-offs and associated special provisions/specifications.
- Obtains bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials; identifying qualified subcontractors; negotiating price.
- Resolves cost discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Analyze information and apply labour, material, equipment, transportation costs to develop final estimate.
- Review final estimate with Estimating Manager prior to submitting the bid.
- Review all selected subcontractors and suppliers with Estimating Manager prior to sending out PO’s and subcontracts.
- Award work to subcontractors and material supplies based on cost and project requirements.
- Ensure quote/subcontract/contract is signed prior to providing the work order, supplier and subcontractor information to the administrative team.
- Execute the contract and prepare the job by providing required information to the ownership group.
- Visit project sites to obtain feedback on production from Foremen/Project Managers/Project Coordinators.
- Regularly monitor job cost reports and identify cost differentials to assist in predicting future cost/production more effectively.
- Assist in training Estimating team.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Attend industry events and represent Steed and Evans in a professional and competent manner.
- Assist in supervising or executing field work as required. (Construction – grade foremen or Project Coordinator, Winter - dispatch, patroller, GTA Foremen Relief – Temporary, Operator).
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Recognized post-secondary diploma or equivalent work experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Construction Estimator Certification (CEC).
- More than 5 years.
- Ability to read, analyze and process documents.
- Heavy civil experience required.
- Computer skills.
- Verbal/written/reporting skills.
- Human relation skills.
- Strong verbal and effective written communication skills.
- Competent to read, interpret and implement construction drawings.
- Ability to train, monitor, mentor and develop the skills of other staff.
- Good problem solving skills, including the ability to employ judgment and past experience to determine the best solution amongst several alternatives.
- Ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information with the utmost discretion
Thank you for your interest in Steed and Evans Limited. If you wish to apply online now, please click the link below