An important part of Steed and Evans’ business philosophy is giving back to the community that has helped sustain our business for more than 60 years by being an avid supporter of local activities and education.
Each year, we proudly sponsor and participate in many initiatives to help Southern Ontario continue to be a great place to live, work, and play.
Local Education Support
More than a half century of experience has taught us that our strongest competitive advantage is a knowledgeable and skilled workforce with the adeptness to apply technology and solve real-world problems.
It’s our collective responsibility to educate. Students need the opportunity to gain practical work experience while still in school and discover the exciting career possibilities of our industry.
Here are some ways we’ve been involved with local education providers:
Award Scholarships & Bursaries
- To recognize student achievements and the industry leaders of tomorrow, we support the Civil Engineering Program Awards and offer a Steed and Evans Limited Graduation Scholarship
School of Civil Engineering & Technology
- Participate as a member of the Program Advisory Committee (PAC - since 1998)
- Funded the “Steed and Evans Construction Materials & Soils Testing Laboratory”
- This lab provides an environment where students can learn testing methods and skills that apply directly to specific engineering needs
- Here’s a look at the lab and the students putting knowledge to work:
Job Shadow Experience
- Demonstrates how challenging and exciting a career in Civil & Environmental Engineering can be
- At various times, our staff visit the classroom to share their experience with the students and answer questions about the industry and possible careers
Ontario Civil Construction Careers Institute (OCCCI)
- To help promote careers in heavy construction to youth, we partner with the OCCCI
- This event provides high school students with the opportunity to visit construction sites, learn about career opportunities and talk with individuals in the industry
- To learn more, here are some great articles by OCCCI (PDF format) and The Record (Pdf format).
- Watch our ‘Construction Day’ video:
School Group Tours
- We provide aggregate site tours to elementary, high school and post-secondary school groups upon request, as well as to others interested in learning about us, the aggregate industry, and the importance of stone, sand and gravel in our everyday lives.
Waterloo District School Board Co-operative Education & Experiential Learning
- We provide local high schools with support and assistance to learn beyond the classroom by offering relevant work experience opportunities
- We support Skills Canada
- We also offer hands-on learning by conducting aggregate site tours for students
MillCreek Stewardship Ranger Program
- We hire a summer crew of senior high school students who work to improve the environment in the Mill Creek watershed, while learning about a career in natural resource management
Local Charity & Non-Profit Support
Each year, we support a variety of non-profit organizations and charities. A few of these have included:
- Kid’s Ability
- Various sports teams
- St. Mary’s General Hospital
- Hospice of Waterloo Region
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital
- Grand River Hospital Foundation
- Junior Achievement of Waterloo Region
- Children’s Safety Village (Roundabout Construction)
- Lutherwood Child and Family Foundation – Children’s Mental Health facility
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital Comfort & Care Campaign (‘Stuff a Truck’ Pillow Drive)
- Region of Waterloo Adopt-A-Road
- Women’s Crisis Services: Anselma House Christmas Toy & Clothing Drive
- Community Support Connections - Drive to Deliver Bronze Sponsor